Monday, September 7, 2009

What is a Good ORAC Score?


Now that I know the importance of the ORAC score and what it means, I want to know what is considered a "good" ORAC score and how much of it I should get each day. I looked into it and found that the USDA recommends an intake of about 5,000 ORAC units per day to receive the optimum health benefits associated with antioxidants. So, foods with 500 units or more of ORAC are considered high ORAC score substances. However, the average person is only ingesting about 20%-25% of this recommended amount in his or her daily diet! Eating 8 to 10 servings of brightly colored fruits or vegetables will usually fulfill our recommended level of ORAC, but it seems that most people have trouble eating this much healthy food! In that case, fruit juices or supplements containing high amounts of vitamins and minerals containing antioxidants are a great help. I found this great immune booster with an ORAC score of 1150! I would MUCH rather drink 2 ounces of that than 10 servings of nasty vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment